Terms of Membership & Categories as stiplulated in articles 9 & 10 in BSE By-Laws
Members of the Society must fulfil the following conditions:
- They must not be less than 18 years old.
- They must be nominated for membership by the Board of Directors.
- They must be reputed for their good conduct and behaviour and must not been convicted for any crime affecting their honour or integrity unless they have been reinstated.
Membership of the Society shall be classified into six categories:
A. Fellow Members:
- They must not be less than 40 years of age.
- They must be recommended by two fellow members and two active members.
- They must have spent at least three years as an active member or must have a fellowship degree from one of the recognised engineering institutions.
- They must have experience of at least five years in engineering or architecture enabling them to undertake high-level responsibilities.
B. Active Members:
- They must be at least twenty-five years old.
- They must be recommended by two fellow members or active members.
- They must be a holder of a B.Sc. degree, or its equivalent, in engineering or architecture or institute recognised by the Society.
- They must be a holder of “engineer” title in the country in which the certificate was issued, according to the level determined by the Society.
- If members are holders of a degree less than the B.Sc., they must be a member of one of the world reputable institutes recognised by the Society.
- If they are holders of a MSc. or Ph.D. degree in one of the engineering or architectural disciplines from a recognised university or institute, they must have a B.Sc. degree in one of the disciplines related to the Society’s Bye-Laws.
- They must have undergone training for a certain period of time in line with training requirements as provided for in the Society’s Constitution and Bye-Laws.
- They must have experience in the engineering practice for at least three years.
- They must have engineering academic qualifications and training in engineering for at least six years.
C. Graduate Members:
Graduate members are members who fulfil conditions (2), (3), (4) and (5) of Article (10) (B - Active Members), provided that they must not be less than twenty years of age.
D. Affiliate Members:
- They must not be less than nineteen years of age.
- They must have obtained academic qualifications from one of the engineering disciplines by way of full-time education for a period of at least two years, or by way of part-time teaching for a period at least three years from one of the academic institutions recognised by the Society, or
- They must have B.Sc.-equivalent academic degree in one of the recognised disciplines in accordance with the Society’s Bye-Laws.
E. Student Members:
- They must not be less than eighteen years old.
- They must be full-time students in an engineering discipline at a university or institution recognised by the Society.
F. Honorary Members:
The Board of Directors of the Society shall confer honorary membership on persons who benefit the Society in a material or intangible manner or those who have an edge in the engineering-related disciplines, even though they are not practising.